Friday, February 01, 2013

Good Idea Friday - Fix Your Broken Makeup


"A few drops of alcohol in broken make up will fix it."
 
How to Fix Broken Make up : Small Notebook

Who doesn't have a few of these laying around? You love the color of the blush or eyeshadow but one wrong drop on the bathroom floor or whacked around in your handbag has it in pieces. If you're anything like me you want to hold onto it, trying your best to use it even if it ends up spilling and flaking everywhere. 

Well there is a easy way to fix that, one we also probably have laying around - rubbing alcohol. As soon as I read about this tip it was "why didn't I think of that?" - alcohol is a liquid that evaporates rather quickly unlike water. Just a few drops mixed into the broken make up, stir with a tooth pick and flatted back out, and within 24-48 hours you'll have your make up back together again. 

I have tried this myself and it worked great, which sent me digging through my make up box trying to find anything I could try it on. I tried it on some loose mineral make up - both face powder and eye shadow - but with mix results. The alcohol did help it form together, and after it dried it looked like regular make up, but after a day of being carried around it broke back up into loose powder. My guess is that mineral powders lacks the necessary binders added to most make up to make them form together in the first place. 

The other thing is that I noticed the make up I repaired still tended to break and chip more than my other make up, so I'd suggest that the make up you repair should be kept tucked in a make up box at home, not tossed in your purse or case for a night out. But hey if it breaks again, you know how to repair it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment