Monday, January 26, 2015

Hydrogen Peroxide to Diagnose and Cure Ear Infections

"Amazing Ear Infection remedy. You'll know if there is an infection and treat it at the SAME TIME. Pinning and reading later need to check this out." 



I'm laid up on the sofa today with vertigo from an ear ache, so in the name of science I turned to pinterest to research home remedies (of course, by "science" I actually mean ridiculous home remedies I can test and research).

So, does putting a simple solution of hydrogen peroxide in your ear let you know if you have an infection, as well as treat said infection? NOPE. 

You see, hydrogen peroxide is just simply water with an extra oxygen molecule to it - H202. Now that's not to say it's the same as water, simply altering or adding various single molecules to things can change them drastically. But that's not the case with things like hydrogen peroxide. 

But why does it bubble when you add it to a cut? Because of a simple thing called catalase. Pretty much everything from fruits and veggies to human tissue contains this enzyme. When exposed to the peroxide, it causes the H202 to break up, and allows the extra oxygen molecule to free itself, causing the bubbles. Ta-DA! Even if you're ears are clean and free of infection, chances are good the peroxide will still bubble and foam, so that's really not a good way to test for an infection. Want to test this out? Pour a small amount in a glass and use it as a mouthwash, and enjoy as your mouth fills with bubbles! Just be careful not to choke or gag!

But how about the second claim? Will it at least treat an infection if you have one? Maybe, but it's not likely. Results are mixed as to if this works or not.  It's important to realize that there are various causes for ear infections, from viruses like those that cause colds, to allergies, not to mention bacterial infections which require antibiotics (peroxide is NOT recommended for killing bacteria, as it doesn't kill everything and can actually cause scar tissue to form, something you don't want in your ears). What it is quite good for though, is helping with ear wax removal - in fact ear wax drops are typically nothing more than mineral oil and peroxide. So all-in-all, you can put peroxide in your ears, but it's not going to let you know if you have an infection, and it's most likely not going to cure anything. It's not uncommon for a lot of earaches to only last a few days on their own, so if you find relief using this trick (or warmed oil, which is also a common ear ache treatment) then go for it. However if your ears aren't better after a few days then it's time to seek professional help. 

23 comments:

  1. Peroxide is amazing for clearing out ear wax but I wouldn't necessarily use it for an ear ache. If you have a perforated ear drum, the peroxide can cause more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true cause it happen to me my doctor give me a peroxide insted of good its bad

      Delete
    2. Your doctor gave you a peroxide & insted of good its bad? Is that it? Maybe you could provide a bit more information so I can understand why this is how you feel?
      For example... you could tell me what type of ear infection your doctor diagnosed you with.
      Were antibiotics also prescribed in addition to “peroxide”? Did the doctor just give you a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to take home or did they put drops in the affected ear while you were in the exam room prior to irrigating?

      Just please explain, in very simple terms, what exactly caused you to write, “doctor give me peroxide instead of good its bad”.

      Delete
  2. I just discovered your blog today, and I must say, I'm delighted that it looks like (after a 6 month hiatus) you're keeping it going!
    I clicked on a link on Facebook regarding the homemade vinegar and water deicer and have spent the last 90 minutes reading, learning and enjoying every moment of this well-done blog! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My work schedule was crazy last year but I'm making time again this year to keep the blog going, I'm so glad you like it :)

      Delete
  3. I would like to add... If you think have an infection, you can find out for sure with peroxide. If it gets hot in your ear you have an infection. I'm rather prone to ear infections. Its not recommended to put peroxide in you're ear if its infected though. But my Dr okayed me to do so... Its my only form of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlic oil is supposed to be amazing for ear infections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Mercola says that many people have reported recovering from a cold and flu by simply adding 3% hydrogen peroxide to their ears.

    I found this article when looking through other articles related to my post about ear cleansing, here: http://theawarenessrevolution.com/ear-cleansing/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous17/12/16

    I put Listerine in my ears. It fights bacteria but what really helps me is using saline moisturizer spray several times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7/4/17

    I put peroxide in my ear and then flushed it out with hot water. I think I've scarred my eardrum as I've lost over 85% hearing in that ear. Can anything be done as I'm a musician. I let the peroxide (3% solution sit in the ear). The doctor saw no wax blocking sound and referred me to an ENT. I'm scared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6/7/17

      Olive oil and garlic supost to help for hearing. Olive oil helps for earwax

      Delete
  8. I use peroxide in my ears weekly it's the most amazing feeling our to feel clean and I've never had a problem yet with my hearing

    ReplyDelete
  9. My whole family has used peroxide for ear infections for years. Has worked eveey single time. Soothed the pain and within a day or two the psin is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Place a few drops of hydrogen peroxide into the affected ear. Allow the fluid to set for one to two minutes, then tilt the ear downward toward the shoulder to release. I know its very common problem and can occur with anyone. Once I used acQuaMD to remove water from my ear, its also very useful way to get water out of your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous14/2/18

    Hi, i'ff got itching ears, and it feels like something is growing inside, and the itching is bad, i scrach so much that it start bleeding....plz help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Control yourself, stop scratching, & go to the doctor for Christ’s sake!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous12/5/18

    Please go to a doctor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really interesting. Very helpful trick. Keep doing such amazing work. Be sure to check the link below:
    custom logo

    ReplyDelete
  14. really a awesome article thanks for sharing;
    have an interest in web designing?
    Logo Designer

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 👀 CASH> +27780171131 ,join illuminata in UK ,uganda ,sudan ,mbarara kampala ,south africa ,witbank ,standaerton Vereeniging,Germiston, Boksburg, Durbun, Bellville Cape Town, Durban George Ibhayi, Kempton Park ,Polokwane Port Elizabeth ,Potchefstroom, Randburg, Roodepoort, Rustenburg ,Sebokeng Soshanguve, Springbok, Stellenbosch, Khayelitsha, Kimberley, Klerksdorp Mitchell’s , Plain Mthatha Nelspruit, Newcastle, Pietermaritzburg, Pinetown, Eastern Cape Free State Gauteng KwaZulu-Natal Limpopo Mpumalanga USA, Sudan North West Northern Cape Western Cape, – Natal Limpopo Mpumalanga North West Northern Cape Western Cape, I want to join Illuminati Uganda, Kampala, how to join Illuminati in Australia,+27780171131 Equatorial Guinea, Join Illuminati in Iimpopo, Mpumalanga, Middelburg, Jamaica.
    agentzama.simplesite.com
    https://wealthkingdomofilluminati.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. KEEPING COMING TO..JOIN ILLUMINATI SOCIETY +27788676511 in U.K Uganda ,gulu south sudan FOR MONEY, FAME AND POWER 100%, join Illuminati in Uganda + 27788676511, Join Illuminati in Brunei, Norway, ,, , +27788676511, join Illuminati inNetherlands, Illuminati in Iceland, Durban, Illuminati in Dubai, Illuminati , join Illuminati Lesotho, Illuminati Members in Lesotho, Illuminati in UAE, Dubai, +27788676511 Join Illuminati in South Sudan, , Join Illuminati

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous24/9/21

    Excellent and also useful article, thank you for share.


    Law Coursework Help

    ReplyDelete