Friday, July 26, 2013

Good Idea Friday - How To Open A Bottle Of Wine With A Shoe

"Open a Bottle of Wine with Your Shoe Maybe the most useful thing anyone needs to know, ever."


This is a trick I found on pinterest a while back that I was really excited to try. I watched the original video posted, and it looked easy. But if it's so easy why isn't this a common party trick? So I decided to test it out myself and film the results: 




I decided to skip the idea of hitting it on a wall because A: I didn't want to damage my walls and B: I figured this is best used when away from home and without a corkscrew handy, so chances are you won't have a wall to hit. Despite hitting it on various things, my husband was unable to get the cork to even budge slightly.  However once it was opened, and recorked, we tried again with far easier success.

I've since watched a couple more videos on youtube of people trying this, and it seems those who did succeed were hitting the bottle for quite some time before it started to budge. So I'm going to go ahead and say this will work, but it would be easier all around if you opened the bottle, recorked it, and then did the tree/wall method like we showed. 

So has anyone tried this yet? What were your results? Do you have any other tricks and tips to opening a bottle without a corkscrew? 


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous26/6/14

    This works, my boyfriend and I have done it as a party trick/out of desperation several times. However, we've only done it in Europe on cement/stone exterior walls - I wouldn't attempt it inside. Basically the trick is to whack it against the wall as hard as you possibly can (don't be afraid to break the bottle, it's surprisingly sturdy), and get the cork to pop out enough to be able to grab it with your hand/teeth and pull it out the rest of the way. This usually takes us anywhere from 5-10 good whacks (it varies - I guess it depends on the bottle/temperature/etc.).

    Another thing you can do is to push the cork *into* the bottle, but it's not a good method if you want to be able to re-cork the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it. Shattered the bottle and badly lacerated my hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually tried the screw method a while back and the only thing it managed to do was crumble the cork as the hammer's leverage. That particular method may only work on synthetic corks. Maybe the same is true for the hitting/inside pressure method since they are more smooth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this actually work never thought this would. Thanks. Be sure to check below:
    buy logo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, interesting article for me to read it
    check the link out if you have interested in web designing or logo designing?
    Logo Designers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous25/9/21

    Fantastic and also unique article.

    Buy law essays

    ReplyDelete