Friday, May 31, 2013

Good Idea Friday - Cleaning your Whiteboards


I was honestly highly skeptical about this tip. I'm in the middle of preparing for a yard sale this week, and I stumbled acrossed a cute whiteboard that used to be in my kids' playroom. The problem? It had been sitting in the basement for over a year covered in ink. Yikes. So I did what I always do - I busted out my trusty  melamine sponge (Magic eraser). That worked ok, but the board itself seemed stain from the ink. So I took it into the bathroom and applied a thick paste of bleach gel. A day later, and it was still stained. 

So I turned to pinterest. I knew I had seen a post before on how to clean whiteboards, but I assumed they all offered the same advice I had just tried. Until I found this post from over at the blog Milehimama. 

Her suggestions? Toothpaste. Yes, cheap, old school toothpaste. A similar tip to my post on how to clean your headlights I wrote about. But can it do the work my melamine sponge couldn't? I was highly skeptical. So I tried it on half the board and sure enough it worked! Knowing then that it was the grit of the paste and not the toothpaste itself, I tried a cup of baking soda with a wet cloth on the other half, and it worked just as well. So next time you're staring down a not so whiteboard and thinking it's a lost cause, break out the baking soda or toothpaste and give it a try. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what the active ingredient is in Toothpaste that does it, but I clean my whiteboards with alcohol based hand sanitiser. My understanding is rubbing alcohol would do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use WD - 40 on my white boards! It smells terrible but works amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use acetone on mine. It even works if there's sharpie on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily24/7/13

    Nail polish remover cleans the dried white board marker ink very well. I always keep a cheap bottle at hand for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use them at school to get a crummy dry erase board white again. Sometimes the lower quality ones get all stained, and the magic eraser takes it right off!
    Melamine Cleaning Sponge

    ReplyDelete