Friday, March 15, 2013

Good Idea Friday - How to Boil an Egg

"Add baking soda to the water when you hard boil eggs to make peeling easier"


Just in time for Easter, this is going to make a lot of peoples lives a tad bit easier. Because yes, it's true! I was honestly skeptical myself so I gave it a try and did notice it seemed to work really well. But WHY? Well over at TheKitchn, there's a great write up that talks about the science behind this. Turns out that the baking soda helps alter the pH of the egg membranes, allowing them to weaken and making it easier to peel. All it takes is a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the water to do it's magic. They do mention sometimes it can cause the eggs to taste more sulfuric, but my kids haven't complained so far. (disclaimer - I hate hard boil eggs, so I haven't tried them myself) 

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, I just do them in the oven now. They come out perfect every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they peel easier? I know when I make a lot of boiled eggs it's usually for deviled eggs, and at least half end up so manged I can't use them. I might have to try the oven trick next week, if the Mr trusts me not to catch the house on fire again via oven use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This didn't work for me in the least. I tried about every fail proof method on the internet and nothing worked for me except for the push pin method. I don't remember it of the to of my head, but I'm sure a quick google search would find it. It was like magic, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/11/13

    I just peel under cold water. Never had a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/1/16

    I keep an old pickle jar handy. Pop in boiled egg and shake. Shell comes right off. Works to peel garlic too.

    ReplyDelete